Milwaukee detective released from hospital after downtown shooting

MILWAUKEE, WI – The Milwaukee police detective who was injured in a downtown shooting was released from Froedtert Hospital on Tuesday.

Milwaukee Police Department Detective Andrew Wilkiewicz was met with a crowd of support after leaving Froedtert’s care Tuesday night, FOX 6 Milwaukee reported. News cameras showed him being applauded by his family and friends.

Wilkiewicz, 37, was shot Thursday after intervening in a robbery at a Shake Shack in the Third Ward neighborhood of Milwaukee. Prosecutors brought eighteen counts against three teenagers accused of involvement in the shooting, according to court records.

Milwaukee police arrested Timonte Karroll-Robinson, 17, and Dionta’e Hayes, 18, and both are charged with driving a car without the owner’s consent and harboring a criminal, records show judicial.

Police are looking for 18-year-old Keasean Ellis-Brown, the Milwaukee Police Department said in a statement. Ellis-Brown is charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and second-degree reckless endangerment of security, court records show.

A failed robbery turned into a shooting

The criminal complaint says the three teens unsuccessfully attempted to steal a Door Dash driver’s car on N. Water Street and E. Buffalo Street. A teenager followed the driver into the lobby of Shake Shack and attempted to rob them, when Wilkiewicz intervened.

Surveillance video showed the detective and the teen, identified as Ellis-Brown, in a struggle before the teen pulled out a handgun, according to the complaint. Footage showed Wilkiewicz firing his own handgun and stalking Ellis-Brown with it, before Ellis-Brown walked out of the store and appeared to fire his gun into the store.

The detective was hit multiple times and the bullets barely missed his heart, according to the complaint. He was rushed to Froedtert Hospital after Ellis-Brown fled the scene.

The other two teenagers, Hayes and Karroll-Robinson, were driving a stolen Volkswagen with Ellis-Brown when the 18-year-old attempted to steal the Door Dash driver’s car, the complaint alleges. Ellis-Brown got into the car but got out after discovering the driver’s children were inside.

Hayes told police that Ellis-Brown dropped her phone in the Door Dash driver’s car and followed the driver into the restaurant to retrieve it before the shooting. After the shooting, Ellis-Brown ran to the car and Karroll-Robinson drove off, according to the complaint.

The two teenagers drove Ellis-Brown to his home before being arrested on North 29th Street and West Chambers Street, according to the complaint.

Ellis-Brown and Hayes were on bail on separate felony charges at the time of the shooting, court records show.

In December, a group called on Milwaukee County District Attorney John T. Chisholm to be removed from his post after he told county supervisors that an assistant district attorney in his office had set a low fee bail for Darrell Brooks Jr. Brooks is charged with killing six people and driving his car in a parade in Waukesha.

Acting Milwaukee Mayor Cavalier Johnson said residents were “fed up with deadly gun violence” after the shooting and cited previous incidents in which a 16-year-old was shot and killed in early January.

About Marc Womack

Check Also

Lou Malnati will open a location in Oak Creek this summer

Lou Malnati’s deep pizza. Courtesy of Lou Malnati. Pizzeria by Lou Malnati plans to open …